Tuesday, 24 April 2007

Its just fabulous!

I’ve spent most of the day quilting the practice quilt with the SwiftQuilter and the Juki – what a great day I’ve had. Both pieces of machinery work very well and I’ve finished the quilting completely. A quilt that size would previously have taken two or three sessions to complete simply because it was such hard work I’d have lost interest after a couple of hours and found something more interesting to do. The picture shows the quilt just before the final pass. I chose to quilt in approximately 4.5” rows as the quilt was made of 5” squares and they gave an easy indication of how far I could take my meander without hitting the limit. I also chose to quilt the whole quilt with a meander just to get the feel of how to use the SwiftQuilter. My next quilt will have more complex quilting…. Oh, I’m so looking forward to doing that next quilt! Who would have thought I’d ever look forward to the quilting of a large quilt!! Why didn’t I buy one of these before?? By the way, if you are thinking of getting a SwiftQuilter and Juki, you might like to know about the little extras that arrive with the whole deal that are not even listed on the website: 6 extra bobbins for the Juki, 2 small tape measures for your handbag, a current quilting magazine, 6 quilt labels, and a bottle of sewing machine oil. Isn’t that wonderful?

You may also see in the photo that the board I was expecting on Sunday hasn’t arrived yet. The SwiftQuilter is set up on my cutting table instead, which is okay but makes it difficult to use from the other side. The board should arrive tomorrow though and Terry has offered to get large castors tomorrow also, so on Sunday when we have the working bee he should be able to get the quilter table all set up.

2 comments:

Helen said...

Somehow I missed this post, great photo and the quilt looks so evenly rolled. You'll be a pro in no time at all!

Jenni said...

Wow what a wonderful setup. I was at one of the Australian craft shows last week and tried a quilt frame that fits with your domestic machine. It was so easy to use. Oh for the money - it wasn't that dear, but there are a few things ahead of it on the list. Plus I don't really have the room to leave it set up...