Some months ago I celebrated my 60th birthday with a 7 course degustation and wine matching dinner cooked in my kitchen by local chef Dean Wong. He had offered to cook to cook and serve a dinner for eight people as a fundraiser for the local school and we were the lucky highest bidder for this wonderful prize.
He and his apprentice arrived at 9.00 am on Sunday and took over the kitchen until about 12.00. The team that came back at 6.00 that evening included Dean's father - chief washer-upper! It was a fabulous meal and a very exciting way to celebrate a milestone birthday. We were all treated as though in a very high class restaurant with wine chosen to go with each course and each course beautifully presented. As well as the 7 courses detailed below Dean provided THREE amuse bouche offerings: Asparagus Velouté and Steak Tartare and a third which I am ashamed to say I cannot remember. Certainly a night to remember!
1. Trio of mushroom soup french, field & brown or button
Johanneshof Dry Gewurztraminer 2008
2. Seared snapper with avocado potato crush, asparagus hollandaise sauce
Domain Road Riesling 2009
3. Smoked cured venison with mango-kumara salad & red wine reduction
4. Double Lamb Cutlet with potato rostie & broad beans lamb jus
Locharburn Pinot Noir 2008
5. Medium-rare roast duck breast with potato tian, turned courgettes & cherry compote
Cottier Pinot Noir 07
6. Angus eye fillet of beef with potato puree, french mushrooms & green beans
Barwick Black Label Shiraz Cabernet
7. Chocolate & olive oil mousse with raspberry compote
Okahu OBJ Port