Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Some Success

Remember this quilt?  It was done for a challenge for our club quilt show. The Quilt Show was a couple of weekends ago and this quilt won first prize in the challenge to my genuine surprise. I thought the faces were a failure as, close-up, the close quilting makes the little girls look like old ladies with wrinkles.


Now this quilt, which also won first prize in its section, I did think had a chance. It was done for a different challenge in the same quilt show. We were to choose a magazine ad, in any magazine except a quilting magazine and make a quilt inspired by the advertisement. I chose this ad:
And here is a closeup of the very close quilting and the edging which I made by cutting bias strips with a wavy edged blade on my rotary cutter and then I zigzagged it onto the edge of the quilt.
To develop the idea for the quilt, I scanned the picture of the ad and took it into my art programme on the computer. I then played around with various filters and chose one to use as inspiration. There were a few that looked possible:



 The middle option looked like snippets which is a simple technique so that's what I chose to do but I'd like to have a go at the first option sometime! Maybe with fuzzy wools appliqued to a surface....

4 comments:

ann vanherle said...

I like the flowerquilt verry much
ann

Ali Honey said...

Congratulations. I liked the faces right from the start. Maybe we all can think of the wrinkles as quilting?

nadeeka said...

I haven't seen the flower one before. They are both just gorgeous! And in so very different ways! 2 first prizes - that's great :-)

ButtonMad said...

Wow! That is a stunning quilt...