Monday, 21 July 2008

More treasures!

Look what was waiting for me when I got home this morning! A parcel of treasures from Nadeeka and her boys, Hamish (9) and Nuwan (8). Remember the quilts the boys made while they were visiting me? Well apparently that sewing day was the highlight of their visit to New Zealand. Nadeeka says: "Nuwan wrote a beautiful essay about his trip to nz - it was ALL about how he made the quilt with you :-)" and "..the boys go to after school care every Tuesday. They offer craft activites - but you know, that's not what my boys usually go for. But the first Tuesday after our trip, Hamish ran to me to show what he did at after school care. I tell you what, its just so.. unhamish like. He's done it all himself! He is happy to make it a present to you." And Nadeeka also filled up the parcel with some wonderful speciality chocolates... aren't I lucky?

Hamish's pincushion is very nicely finished and such a pretty colour. Nuwan's essay is actually an extremely well written tutorial on how to do fused, raw edged applique:
Making the Quilts
When I went to New Zealand I went to my grandparent's house and my grandma told me how to make a quilt.
First you choose a large picture and trace carefully around the outside. Following that, you trace every body part separately onto a special piece of paper. Next you cut them out but not on the lines. Cut 1 cm outside the lines. Then iron them on to the back of the fabric of your choice. Afterwards, you cut out each body part along the lines and peel the paper off the fabric. Finally you stick each body part to the background fabric in its place. You choose a piece of fabric for the back of the quilt and and any piece of fabric for the middle of the quilt. Sew the three pieces of fabric together with a sewing machine.
When I finished my quilt and came back from New Zealand I showed my class and my teacher was very impressed.
By Nuwan Whyte
Not bad from an 8 yr old and written 2 weeks after the lesson!

1 comment:

Helen said...

Janice, that is a lovely letter. Pat yourself on the back!