Friday, 4 July 2008

Gluten Free Recipes

The thing I've missed most since I've stopped eating cheese, potato, corn and wheat are savoury treats. I've tried a number of cracker recipes and this adaptation of this recipe is the best I've made. It has a nice nutty flavour and it makes about 70-100 crackers depending on how big you cut them. I think you could increase the LSA meal and use less brown rice flour if you wanted to.

LSA Crackers

Ingredients:
1 2/3 cups gluten free flour blend (I use 1 1/3 cup brown rice flour, 1/3 cup tapioca flour)
1/3 cup LSA meal
1 tsp salt (can use herb salt if liked)
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sour milk (I use soy milk and lemon juice)
1 large egg

Directions:
Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Add milk, oil, and egg and mix thoroughly to make a stiff dough. Roll the dough very thin (it will completely cover two oven trays). You will need lots of flour on your rolling pin as its a sticky dough. Cut into squares. Bake at 200 deg C for 10 min. Remove the lightly browned crackers and bake remainder for further 5-10 min until all lightly browned. Let cool and store in airtight container.

When I made the crackers in the picture I used ground linseed instead of flour on the rolling pin, that's what has given the grainy look to the crackers.

And here are my favourite apple muffins - not too sweet but lovely and moist. An excellent breakfast food.

Apple Muffins

Wet Ingredients - mix together in one bowl:
1/2 large tin apple slices
1/4 cup soy milk with a squeeze of lemon juice
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil

Dry ingredients - mix together in another bowl:
1 1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup LSA
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup vanilla sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp mixed spice
1 cup raisins or chocolate chips or walnuts

Add wet ingredients to dry and mix just enough to combine, do not overmix. This is a very moist mixture. Spoon into 12 large paper cases in a muffin tray and bake 25 min at 175 deg C.

All I need now is a good recipe for brown rice tortillas - anybody know of one?

No comments: