Thursday, 14 August 2008

More about Quinoa Porridge

Quite a while ago I posted a recipe for Quinoa Porridge cooked in a crockpot (or slow cooker). I still eat a version of that most mornings. Most mornings its there in the crockpot all cooked and warm and yummy. But if I've forgotten or not put it on to cook for some reason the night before, I can still cook a pretty good version in the microwave, provided the mixture has some quick cooking cereal in it. For instance, the mix I am using at the moment has some quick cooking, quinoa cereal in it or sometimes I have quinoa flakes. The microwave method doesn't work if you only have the rice flakes and the whole grains, you need something that will absorb the liquid fairly quickly so that it doesn't boil over.

To make a yummy very nutritious breakfast porridge for two mix: 6 tbsp whole grains (quinoa, brown rice flakes, amaranth) with 2 tbls quick cooking cereal (rice, quinoa), 1 tbsp LSA, 1 tbsp rice bran, some raisins or other dried fruit or nuts with 2 cups liquid (milk, soy milk, water) and cook in covered dish on high for 5 min, then on low for 10 min. Serve with milk, cream, yoghurt, honey, jam, syrup, stewed fruit....

To make this even easier, I make the mix up in large batches and keep it in an airtight container. Then for each person I just measure out 1/3 cup mix and 1 cup liquid.

No comments: